I’m a big fan of simple things, simple living and simple weddings. They’re (generally) less expensive and just as meaningful and memorable as weddings that pull out all the stops. And they’re less stressful. When there are fewer details to worry about, there is less anxiety. Simple wedding planning doesn’t usually take as long – which is perfect for couples who don’t want a long engagement.
Perhaps you adore simple weddings too, but you’re not sure how to pull it off for your own wedding. Or maybe you think simple weddings have to sacrifice style. Not so!
Here are some ideas on how to create your own simple wedding that is still stylish and unforgettable!
Ideas for Simple Weddings
- Cut the guest list to include only the people who matter most in your lives. This will make your small wedding feel more like a fabulous get together with family and close friends, than a wedding event.
- Choose a gorgeous setting; beachfront wedding venues with this view; need little adornment. That way you won’t have to worry about a lot decorating details.
- Have the reception and the ceremony in one place, like an inn, bed and breakfast or private estate
- Choose DIY Projects (Simple Ones) that you can do well in advance. Simple weddings can still be chock full of DIY, just make sure you plan ahead. Delegate your DIY. Get your mom, sisters, friends, cousins, nieces in on the DIY action. They’re feel good that they’re contributing, and you’ll have less to do!
- Don’t keep up with the Joneses. Your wedding is not a competition. It’s a celebration. Let other brides’ weddings inspire you, but don’t feel like you have to out-do anyone.
- Nix the extras. Do you really need a dessert table, when there is plenty of wedding cake to go around? Do you really need a signature drink, when there is wine and beer?
- Don’t feel pressured to write your own vows. Traditional wedding vows are still beautiful and personal – because it’s the two of you who are saying them. I’m also an Officiant; a lot of couples aren’t comfortable writing their own vows. There are many traditional vows to choose from; that can say everything you want, keeping it simple.
- Let go of the notion of perfection. Go with the flow – and let your wedding unfold the way it’s meant to. It will be simply beautiful – even if everything doesn’t go as planned.
Simple weddings have the most “aww” moments because the day is truly about celebrating the couples love and not focusing on perfecting the details or impressing others. Now that’s impressive.