The Super Bowl LI is this Sunday and watching parties are being planned all over the country. One big aspect of watching the game is planning drinks, snacks, meals and desserts to enjoy while cheering on a chosen team or laughing along to the commercials.
Jack McCann, the executive chef and president at Merri-Makers and winner of the International Caterers Association Chef of the Year, has a chili recipe to share that will kick harder than kick-off.
What You’ll Need
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Chipotle Peppers in Addoo Sauce
- 3 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, chopped
- 2 jalapenos chiles, minced
- 2 yellow onions, dice
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless chuck short rib, trimmed and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 2 pounds ground beef, coarse grind
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 12 ounces lager beer
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Two 15.5-ounce cans kidney beans, with juice
- Two 15.5-ounce cans pinto beans, with juice
- 1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
Add the butter to a large stockpot over high heat. Add the chipotle chiles, poblano chiles, jalapeno chiles and onions, and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute longer. Add the chuck short rib and brown, about 4 minutes. Add the ground beef and sausage and brown, stirring gently, trying not to break up the ground beef too much. Cook until the meat is nicely browned and cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the chili powder, cayenne, cumin, granulated garlic, granulated onion, smoked paprika, salt and black pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the tomato sauce and paste, and stir to caramelize, about 2 minutes. Stir in the beer and stock. Add the kidney and pinto beans; lower the heat and simmer, about 2 hours.
Makes 8 servings.